Hello again! Unfortunately this post was meant to go up last week, but I completely forgot to post it for some reason (and I was rather hoping to get back to posting every week...) Anyway, I now have my camera back which means I've got some new photos to show you! After the other week's Uncle John marathon, I haven't had the resolve to paint any models this week. On the other hand, I do have something painting related to show you, and some good news which I mentioned on the Facebook page - the Uncle John bust won first place in the painting competition, which means I'll soon be getting a Nurgle themed base by Black Swan Miniatures to experiment with!
I'm very happy to report that my bust of Uncle John is finally done, after a ridiculous painting session until 5.30 am yesterday! I wanted to be able to enter him into the Mengel Miniatures painting competition, and happily I have now done so! The competition's deadline is actually tomorrow, but I needed it ready for photography yesterday - I don't have my camera on me at the moment, so I had to borrow the home camera when my parents were visiting me at uni.
Over the past week or so I've returned to a project that I started several months ago and have only just gotten back around to picking up again. I'm talking about the bust of Uncle John by Infamy Miniatures, and the reason that I've started work on him is the painting competition being run by Mengel Miniatures. The rules say that the model shouldn't be one that you've finished already, so I'm working on the last sections of the bust for the large model category,
Remember those Normans I showed you last week? Well, I'm back again with an update on them, since I've finished painting one of them! I've also finished sculpting another four of them, but I'm saving those for another time. So here we have the first finished Norman, Ben the... not quite a spearman? Billman?
A small while ago, I think I mentioned that I've joined a re-enactment group since going to uni. The group portrays the early medieval period from 1100 to 1215 - basically covering the late Normans and the Angevins. Well, over Christmas I got hold of some Norman models, and decided to model them to look like members of the Manchester cell. As you can see below, I've been doing a bit of conversion and some sculpting.
Hello again! First up, I'm sorry about the time it's been since the last post, it's been pretty busy - my parents and girlfriend visited me at uni and then I headed home for Christmas. The other reason is that last week I had an important Greek test so I didn't manage to get any painting done. I am back now, however, with a good deal of progress on the Thranduil conversion!
Last time I showed him, the conversion was half finished - as you can see, the conversion is now complete, and I'm really pleased with how he looks. I've also done a bit of painting on him, his robes are now done (and many tries it took!) and I've started on the cloak lining as well. Once the cloak's done, I don't think it'll take too long to finish the model off, and it should look quite awesome!
All that's left is for me to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, and thank you for reading!
I'm back again! As I mentioned last week, I ordered the new armoured Thranduil model that's just been released, and I have some progress to show you on my conversion to improve his appearance. I've now finished sculpting his base, and I've done most of the work on Thranduil as well (I just need to replace the upper body). So far it's looking pretty good, the model should be nice and dynamic when it's done.
I made the steps on the base by building up the basic structure out of box cardboard, before I covered all of it in a thin layer of green stuff. The same process was used for the pillar, and all of the architecture on the base is based off of photos of the Dale set in the Hobbit. All of the sculpting on the base has also been given a stone texture, by pressing the bristles of a worn out brush into the wet green stuff.
Thank you for reading, and please let me know what you think!
I mentioned on the Facebook page the other day that I'd finished some dwarves, and here they are! The banner bearer's already been shown on here, but the grimhammer is new, and the banner bearer was rebased to match the new model. I'm really pleased with how these two have turned out, so I'm looking forward to seeing all the grimhammers finished and together!
I mentioned last week that I bought a box of grimhammers, and now I have some progress to show on them. They're all assembled and three are based as you can see below, with a smooth base. I've sculpted a large number of coins to go on the base as well, and they'll be painted to look like they're in Erebor.
I'd been a small while since I've shown any new models on here, since homework and required readings, plus societies, doesn't leave too much spare time to paint. However I'm a bit more on top of my workload now, so I have something new to show you - a work in progress on Gandalf the Grey.
My name is Chris Nelson, I'm a hobbyist. I started around eight years ago with Lord of the Rings as my first system, however I prefer painting to gaming.
Check out Nelson Miniatures' Facebook page, give it a like, and keep updated about new posts and more!
Blogs I like