Look, I've finished another model! Rather, he was finished last week and nearing completion for a few weeks before, but I wanted it to be a surprise since it was a birthday present for someone. While it wasn't completely unexpected, I hope the model makes it's new owner very happy, and I certainly enjoyed working on the him. Unfortunately, I have a second one on my desk that's destined for me, but I know from experience how much work it'll be...
As the title says, I've now finished building Downing street, which involved sculpting the windows, building a light to go between the arch of the railings, and adding the handle to the door (which unfortunately can't be seen in the picture). The model's now ready to be basecoated, and then I can finally get to painting him!
Following on from last week's post, I finished building up the back of the display base with plasticard, and I've now applied the polyfiller and sanded it smooth. Normally I'd have used green stuff for that job (like I on the Commodore's display base), but since it was such a large area I decided it be quicker and easier to go down this route instead.
Now that I've finished painting the Roman general, I've decided to do a bit more work on Churchill before I continue with the legionaries. The front of the display base was mostly finished before, so now I'm finishing off the back of it by building it up and then smoothing it flat.
At the moment I pretty much only have two projects on the go, the cultist and Churchill (I have a few more that I'm going to get back to soon, like the legionary, but any more and I'd be pushing it to get them done in time). I've done some more work on Churchill, I've started working on the back wall and you can also see the railing decorations that I mentioned in the last post.
I've been persevering in Churchill, as you can see below! I've now finished the railings for Downing Street, which I'm very glad to have done at last. The arch was the most difficult bit to do. Each half is made of two paperclips joined at the bottom, since I couldn't bend the paperclip in to the right shape otherwise. I've also done the side decoration which can't really be seen in this picture, so I'll get a shot of those next time.
I've also been making some more progress on Churchill recently, I've been building his base out of plasticard. For a while I wasn't able to decide whether to try and build Downing Street or not, given the complexity of the railings in particular. In the end I just decided to do it anyway and see how it looks, and if not then I'm still able to change the base.
I've made a bit of progress on the Commodore this week, I painted some more on the back of his coat. I managed to paint an area which I couldn't get to look right before, so I'm rather pleased about that. I've also started making a small model of the HMS Dauntless, which I'm also enjoying.
Over the past few days I haven't really got too much done, it's now exam season so I'm busy revising. I have, however, managed to get a bit done on the Commodore. I also watched the Pirates of the Caribbean films again, so
I've finally managed to get some pictures of the Commodore so far, I've now basecoated most of the model and I've finished some of the coat. Most of the other colours have been painted quite simply, just to get an idea of how the finished model will look. I've also started painting the base, but I'm not sure if I like the colour or not.
My name is Chris Nelson, I'm a hobbyist. I started around eight years ago with Lord of the Rings as my first system, however I prefer painting to gaming.
Check out Nelson Miniatures' Facebook page, give it a like, and keep updated about new posts and more!
Blogs I like